Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Thanksgiving Leftovers




Well, the Thanksgiving Holiday has past and it leaves behind a bounty of leftovers.

What to do, what to do? Well, I remember hearing stories of how my ancestors and in particular, my great-grandmother Anne Bell Johnson Green never wasted anything. My mother who resided in her home for much of her youth, tells the stories of how she created the most wonderful meals from leftovers and whatever food items came her way...be it raised, planted, bartered or some unfortunate creature that wandered into her yard.

As well, in my own youth, I remember my mother and older sister preparing delicious meals from the holiday leftovers. Lets face it, cornbread dressing tastes better the day after anyway!

With that in mind, I have been on a leftover meal mission! My target, the remains of the Thanksgiving Guest of Honor, "The Esteemed Turkey!

Day 1- Asian Turkey Breast Salad-A mix of romaine salad greens, sliced turkey breast, cranberries, mandarin oranges, chopped green onions, tomatoes w/an light asian dressing

Day 2-Turkey Pot Pie-2 empty Pies shells, one coated w/lowfat marg and sprinkled with herbs, chopped turkey mixed w/fresh vegetables, herbs, cream of celery soup foldered into pie crust topped with top crust which is brushed w/light margarine and sprinkled w/herbs and then baked for 1 hr @ 350 degrees.

Day 3 Turkey Salad-Chunks of Turkey blended w/fat free mayo, relish, olives, onion, celery, red bell pepper, garlic powder, paprika-raisins and cranberries optional. Can be served on a bed of lettuce or eaten w/bread or crackers

Day 4 Turkey Soup-Chopped turkey, Turkey Leg &/Or Wing simmered with fresh vegetables such as carrots, corn, green beans, potatoes,tomatoes, onion, bell peppers, garlic seasoned w/bay leaves, fresh basil, curry, savory. Eat hot with crackers. Can be slow-cooked in a crock pot.

Day 5 My favorite greens, collards, turnips, mustard slowly simmered until done with leftover turkey leg/wing and/or thigh. Just add water, seasonings such as salt, pepper, onion, garlic, Mrs. Dash herbal blend and eat. I prefer to simmer the turkey parts first to make a broth and add greens last to absorb the flavor.

So there you have it. This was my left over Thanksgiving Turkey week. So far, anyway.

Believe it or not, I still have turkey left. Looks like its time to come up with more creative leftover turkey recycling meals!

Thanks Mom and Great-Grandma for the inspiration!

No comments: