Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Barack Obama


Today, marks a historic moment in time. Barack Hussein Obama II born August 4, 1961 just became the 44th president of the United States.

For the first time in history, the United States feels truly "united." The nation is celebrating.

I went out and cast my vote today and although I have voted every election since becoming of age, this experience was the most profound. I took a photograph at the polls to memorize the day. I will upload it later.

Yesterday, President-elect Obama spoke in Manassas, Virgina and I was reminded of how my great-great-great grandfather Henry Johnson of Bossier Parish, Louisiana had fought on the front lines at the 2nd Manassas at the Battle of Bull Run which took place on August 28-30, 1862. He survived but his former Master, Hodge died on August 29, 1862 despite my Grandpa's efforts to save his life by carrying him for miles on his back.

Grandpa Henry was freed along with thousands upon thousands of other slaves when the North won the war and now 143 years after slavery was abolished, Barack Hussein Obama II has become the first black president.

God bless America!

No comments: