Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Nat and Sarah Hill, former slaves




Nat and Sarah Hill were my gggg-grandparents. They were slaves that were brought from South Carolina to Frierson, Louisiana in DeSoto parish.

1. Nat and Sarah Hill were the parents of at least 1 child, my ggg-grandmother, Mary Hill Hines who was the wife of Pompey Hines.

2.Pompey and Mary Hill Hines begat many children. Among them were my gg-grandfather David Hines who married Mariah Pressley Hines, daughter of Stephen and Phyllis Pressley.

3. David and Mariah begat many children. Among them was my grandfather Isam Hines who married Cornelia Jefferson Hines Nickelberry, daughter of Issac and Jane Brayboy Jefferson.

4. Isam and Cornelia had several children. Among them was my beautiful grandmother, Bessie Hines Burney who married William Burney, son of Anderson and Caroline Burney.

5. William and Bessie had 5 children, William, Jewel, (Living Son),
(Living daughter)and Rosie. William also begat Bobbie and Lois. Among them was my father, Jewel Burney who married Lottie.

6. Jewel and Lottie begat 5 children plus 4. Among them was me, Karen Burney.

I am the 6th generation from Nat and Sarah Hill and my son is the 7th but my great-nieces and nephews are 8 generations from the Hills.

The 1870 census list both Nat and Sarah Hill as being born in South Carolina and both at age 60, which means that both were born around 1810. James Madison was president at the time of their births. Nat Hill is listed as a farmer on the 1880 census.

None of their children were in the house at the time but there was one child who could have been a grandchild in the househould named Moses Hill, aged 12.

By 1880, 10 years later, Nat Hill had apparently passed away and Sarah was living in the household of her grandson, Danniel Hines and his wife Caroline Pressley Hines. (Danniel Hines was my ggg-grandfather, David Hines brother and his wife Caroline was David's wife Mariah Pressley Hine's sister so their children were double-kin. You see, in those days when you found a good man and he had a nice brother, you introduced him to your nice sister or cousin!) On the 1880 census, they have Sarah's age as 90 with her being born in 1790 which is 20 years older than she was on the 1870. This was not uncommon though especially among the older former slave population since they individuals often did not know their true age so they estimated it." However, 90 seems more plausible because her daughter, Mary was 67 and her grandson, Danniel was 40. Also, in the household by 1880 with Danniel and Caroline Pressley were their children and Danniel's mother, Mary Hill Hines since her husband Pompey had also passed away by this time. Hence, there were generations in that household in 1880.

I still have a lot to learn about my Hill line such as who were their other children? What part of South Carolina they came from? Although, I suspect Darlington county like my other lines in Desoto parish but have not confirmed it yet. Who were their slaveowners?

One thing I do know is that they both lived to see freedom. Nat Hill listed as a farmer was once the property of another and more than likely tilled the fields until days end for his Master. Sarah, I imagine would have also worked the fields or perhaps did the cooking, cleaning and other tasks related to the tending of her mistress' household.

Freedom must have tasted so sweet! To you grandparents, I dedicate this scripture:


Isaiah 65:21-24

21And they shall build houses, and inhabit them; and they shall plant vineyards, and eat the fruit of them.

22They shall not build, and another inhabit; they shall not plant, and another eat: for as the days of a tree are the days of my people, and mine elect shall long enjoy the work of their hands.

23They shall not labour in vain, nor bring forth for trouble; for they are the seed of the blessed of the LORD, and their offspring with them.

24And it shall come to pass, that before they call, I will answer; and while they are yet speaking, I will hear.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

From what I have heard, my father's grandfather's name was Nat Hill.

Do you have any information on the descendants of Nat Hill?


Thank you,


Bernadine Hill

Karen Burney said...

Hi Berna 1864



My family is descended from Nat and Sarah Hill of Desoto Parish, Louisiana who was the parents of Mary Hill Hines, wife of Pompey Hines as follows:



Nat and Sarah Hill

Mary Hill Hines

David Hines

Isam Hines

Bessie Hines Burney

Jewel Burney

Karen Burney (me)



How are you related?