Thursday, July 10, 2008

African American Civil War Memorial


A few weeks ago, I wrote an article about the US Colored Troops. In it, I mentioned that Ancestry.com has a site you can search for your ancestors or other relatives who may have served.

I also want to tell you about the African American Civil War Memorial Museum in Washington, D.C. The Museum which has a memorial sculpture that is surrounded by a memorial wall in remembrance of the contributions that these soldiers made.

The museum curators utilize photographs, documents and state of the art audio visual equipment to convey the heroic's of the soldiers in their struggle for freedom.

The Museum is located at 1200 U Street N.W., Washington, DC 20009 and is open Monday to Friday from 10 AM to 5 PM and Saturdays, 10 AM to 2 PM.

I was in D.C. about 3 years ago and as you probably know, there is a lot to see there so I did not get the chance to visit this museum but I plan to. If you are in the D.C. area, please make a point to see this museum. The contributions of these men are invaluable not only to African Americans but they influenced our current way of life in America.

2 comments:

Craig Manson said...

I got to see the monument, but not the museum! (It was a Sunday, and it was closed). I wrote about an interesting adventure with my parents at the Memorial, called Art, Science, and Serendipidy".

Anonymous said...

During a visit to D.C in September 2009 I had the pleasure of visiting the Shaw District in D.C.

While taking a walk in the Shaw District (on U St, N.W.) I happened upon the African American Civil War Museum and the Monument {which is located near the Shaw District Metro (subway) Station}.

I was mesmerized by the Monument and found the displays in the museum to be informative, educational coupled with a warm and embracing atmosphere.I imagine our ancestors were inviting me into their space.

The museum staff was helpful and friendly. A great place to visit if you live or you're planning a trip to our Nation's capital in the near future!