Saturday, July 5, 2008

Happy 4th of July!!!


Happy 4th of July!!! A day late but the sentiments remain the same. This year I am celebrating the 4th with a "Big Bang" live from New York City! Yesterday, I went to the famed Coney Island where they held an Annual Hot Dog eating contest. The winner, Joey Chestnut (ironically, the same surname affialiated with one of my ancestral lines) ate an amazing 64 hotdogs beating out the reigning champion in a first-ever tie-breaking round.! I did not eat quite so many but after sampling the also famed Nathan's "Dogs," I can identify with the contestants a little better.

The best part of my Coney Island experience was the beach area. I sat there for hours taking in the view of the waves, passing ships, the sea of umbrellas and people frolicking on the beach and in the water. The weather was perfect. I could have layed there for the week sipping on lemonade and the occasional Italian Ice.

I did not get on any rides this time but did stop and watch other people who did. Unfornately, that part of my day had to end so it was time to board the subway and head towards Battery Park near the Statute of Liberty to watch the annual Macy's Fireworks show.

It was spectacular and I had birds-eye view having arrived there early. This was one of the best fireworks show that I had ever witnessed! It featured a wide-range of pyro-technics that exploded into amazing fountains, UFO'S, happy faces and more. It was the perfect ending to an amazing day.

Then it was back off to Times Square to the hotel where I am staying.

Anyway, its Saturday and I'm off to explore the City today. Farewell for now.

No comments: