Saturday, July 5, 2008

Sweet Honey in the Rock



Before I go to bed, I had to tell you about an acquaintance that I made today both at the productions of "Thurgood and Strange." It was 2 of the members of the Grammy Award-winning group, “Sweet Honey in the Rock. They are an African-American female a cappella ensemble that tours the country with gospel inspired music.

I met the group's co-founders, Carol Maillard, the lady in the top hat, kinte cloth neck wrap with boots and Bernice Johnson Reagon, the lady on the far right in the fuscia colored dress.

I had not had the pleasure of seeing them in concert yet but have heard astounding reviews of their performances and I promised the ladies that would see them as soon as they are in a city near me again.

They told me that they are in New York for 2 weeks rehearsing for a concert they are slated to do in December with the Alvin Ailey dancers. I might try to catch that.

Anyway, they were very nice and we seemed to be on the same schedule since I encountered them at both theatre performances. I took a picture with them but I will have to upload it when I get home.

If you get a chance to see them, please do so. Okay, for real, I'm off to bed now!

No comments: